2 replies to this topic

#1 mophlrkb

mophlrkb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

Dear All

Long time lurker, and first time poster.

We have a surplus of grant money that needs to be spent and we are hoping to build a dedicated M&S system.  We use both NONMEM and Phoenix WNL (and Simcyp).  
Does anyone have any comments on the AMD Threadripper line as a potential useful CPU for NONMEM/NLME modelling  in terms of overall performance vs the Intel Core i7/9 lines?

Specially I guess before we invest, we'd like to learn more about the old issue of Intel Fortran not working well with AMD processes (and hence NONMEM) back in the early 2000's.

Is this still an issue? 

Any comments, however vague, would be really helpful.

Many thanks

James 

#2 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

James, I wouldn't worry about this; firstly Phoenix uses a GNU compiler not Intel FORTRAN; http://www.mingw.org/and also since Intel was successfully sued by AMD I don't think companines would try this again.

SImon.

PS You may want to check the NM users list, as I think i heard in the past that NONMEM users needed Intel Fortran to compile more complex models, although I can't say if that is stiil a requirement.

Edited by Simon Davis, 16 July 2018 - 01:59 PM.

#3 mophlrkb

mophlrkb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Simon---much appreciated

I've attempted to ask the same question on the globomax forum but there are some issues getting approval on their forum. If anyone can comment on that front here, I would be grateful.
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users