13 replies to this topic

#1 Angus McLean

Angus McLean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

A common routine I am using is, after doing a PK parameter analysis, is to send the parameters to a Table: then I construct the variables needed and the precision with the associated statistics. The final output I get is then copied and pasted into Excel by me.   It is an html file and no apparent export option is offered to export into Excel.  I have found out that you have to be very careful when copying and pasting big tables.    My question relates to whether there is an option in the program that I am not aware of for getting the Tables to export into Excel.

Angus

#2 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

Angus is there a particular reason you want to put them in Excel.   With Phoenix tables the idea is to be 'report ready' and therefore direct export to Word either thru the File Menu item or Reporter is the expected usage.

Simon.

#3 Nathan Teuscher

Nathan Teuscher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

Angus,

You are correct that the Table object only outputs to html format. However, you can output data tables (e.g., from a Data Wizard object or Descriptive Statistics object) to an Excel file. However, these tables will not be formatted (e.g., borders, fonts, etc.)

Nathan

#4 Angus McLean

Angus McLean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Simon and Nat:  In general the rule I follow when preparing regulatory reports of PK data is that the material is much easier to organize the way you want it in Excel and then finally take it into Word.  I do as much of the organizing and formatting as I can in Excel and then copy it into Word.

Nat  I will revisit the descriptive statistics object:  I have got into the mode of using Tables and copying html  over into Excel.  I should look at the descriptive statistics again to see how it compares.

Angus

#5 Angus McLean

Angus McLean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

I had another look at the html Table output:  I right clicked my mouse and I do see an option to export to Excel: I am not sure of  Simon's mention of exporting the html table to  to Word.  There is an option to select an html Table and export to Word?  Please can you push me so I can try that option to see how it looks.

Edited by Simon Davis, 22 September 2015 - 09:08 AM.
cleaned up double-post and unnecessary quote

#6 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

Angus, File> Word export has been in base WinNonlin for a long time and is very quick and easy way to get a lot of tables and graphs directly into Word.  (Reporter is more sophisticated but would need a Connect license).

The biggest tip I can give is to UNCHECK all selections first and then only what you want in that run.  FOr Appendices I might cycle through a couple of times, but when I can get 54 pages of tables in one Word doc in less that 30 seconds I don't see that as a big issue.

Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• file_word_export.jpg
  • tables.jpg
  • doc1.jpg

#7 Wolfgang Prange

Wolfgang Prange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:20 PM

Dear Angus,

I am also not sattisfied with the appearence of phoenix tables in MS Word and use a similar procedure as you describe it. One further option you might try is to export your table as html and open it directly in Excel (File|Open; filetype *.hmtl) rather than copy and paste it.

Best regards,

Wolfgang

#8 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

Hi Wolfgang, (and Angus) can I enquire as to what it is you don't like is it the structure i.e. layout, or the formatting?  If we can see examples of what you get in Phx and what you turn it to in Word (or Excel).   then we can can either advise how you might achieve that within the current offering, or look to see if we can enhance in the future.  The design philosophy of Phoenix is to have a refreshable workflow that allows you to recreate your analyses and reports 'instantly' without having to do a lot of extra manual interventions.  And in my experience with the clients I've worked with in training etc. this is what they get, so I'm trying to better understand the gap you perceive.

e.g. a Word doc of before (i.e. 'Phoenix native' tables, or graphs) and what they look like after would be a great help together with the original project so we can see the settings used.  

(or if you've done these specifics with support already, let me know the Case number)

best regards,

Simon.

#9 Angus McLean

Angus McLean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Wolfgang: Thank you for your note:  As you see from above I did find out that by right clicking my mouse on the html Table that Phoenix does give me an option to export into Excel.  I will use this.

Simon:  it is so many years since I tried to export into Word that I will comment after I try your suggestion.  I do of course  agree that to get the Table into Word is the goal and there is need from QA standpoint to achieve this ,   The reason  for going to Excel and then Word is that for formatting numerical data Excel is a much more powerful formatting  program for numerical data.  Simply put you can present the data the way you want more easily in Excel and then copy into Word.

Performing formatting of numerical data in Word is much more difficult to do.  

#10 Angus McLean

Angus McLean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

Simon:  Thank you for your tip regarding Table export to Word.  Yes the Table I looked at was exported from html to WORD accurately to provide the generic tabulated  information.  There can be no in general, answer to your question, since different companies have different style guides and preferences for information.   One thing I can say is that companies spend a huge amount of time in the preparation of  regulatory documents. I like to present Tables with fine lines separating each the horizontal rows and columns.  It is easier to read the data as such. For some of the rows or columns I may prefer the lines to be in boldface and thick to aid comprehension of the elements in the Table.  Now you can use the Word options to implement this on the Phoenix exported Word Tables  if you wish.  Again I find that Excel is much easier to use than Word for such endeavours.  As such I do prefer to Export into Excel and get everything the way I want it and then copy into Word.  I was advised by an executive secretary, who had vast experience with  the preparation of regulatory documents, to do this years ago.  

#11 Balaji

Balaji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:03 AM

Can anyone tell why missing and non calculable is not printed in tables and summary in phoenix 

Thanks in advance

#12 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

Balaji  please post a project of the data you don't think is being presented.  Remember that if a column is assigned a status of numeric then it can only contain actual numbers or a blank if there is no value.  Phoenix has no special character or status of missing.

However you can easily assign a column to be text but still perform numerical operations on it, so if your original conc was recorded as NS it would still be presented in the table as NS but treated as missing in the statistics. 

A missing value in statistics will by default be presented as BLANK, if you license/use the AutoPilot module then more sophisticated flagging options are avaialable

There are some other options in base Phoenix WinNonlin using Custom Tables and/or a little extra work in your workflow but until we see an example of what your input is and what you would like to see in your output it is hard to comment further.

Simon.

Attached Thumbnails

• AP_NC.jpg
  • NC.jpg

#13 Balaji

Balaji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:43 AM

Thanks Simon Davis 

This what I want but I don't find those business rule you have attached in screen shot 

I can only find this Which I have attached as screen shot for you reference 

business rule.jpg

#14 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

Balaji - are you importing your data from Watson LIMS? the option in preferences is only referring to that import process (and actually the setting you show would be the opposite of what you want to do since it would remove the flag value of "<BLQ" entirely and leave you with just a blank.

Autopilot is controlled by  separate option and requires an additional license.  Again if you cna post an actual example and describe your workflow together with version of Phoneix we amy be able to help more.

Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• prefs.jpg

Edited by Simon Davis, 11 February 2016 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users