6 replies to this topic

#1 simon.hutchings

simon.hutchings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hi all,

I use WNL v6.3 but a collaborator I'm working with uses v6.4.  When sharing project files I am unable to open any created by him in 6.4 (but he can open my projects created in v6.3).

Does anyone know of a solution to allow backwards compatibility?  I wasn't aware that v6.3 and 6.4 were that fundamentally different?!

Thanks,

Simon

#2 Wendt

Wendt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

Unfortunately although Phoenix is backward-compatible i.e. projects from older versions can be opened in newer versions. It is not possible to make them forward-compatible since sometimes the features used in a workflow might not be available in an older version. There are no official workarounds for this at the present time, in some cases saving the workflow as a template and re-loading it works as long as no new objects are part of the workflow 

Bernd

#3 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

Simon - there are a couple of options that you could use to see the 6.4 project;

1) install v6.4 on another machine, no license is required if you simply want to open and view a project 'read-only'

2) another way of viewing an analysis is to request a user right-clicks on the root workflow and chooses dependencies, this will generate an XML dump of the whole project that can be rendered in any web browser etc. (note this is a one way process so although a good back-up archive of your analyses (since platform independent), you would want to save the PHXPROJ too.

We do keep looking at ways to support such 'forward' compatibilit but unfortunately it is not trivial.

Simon.

#4 Helmut Schütz

Helmut Schütz

Advanced Member

• Val_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:20 AM

Hi Simon,

2) another way of viewing an analysis is to request a user right-clicks on the root workflow and chooses dependencies, this will generate an XML dump of the whole project […] that can be rendered in any web browser etc.

Nope. XML must by well-formed (aka valid) to be rendered. On my machine (64bit Win7 Pro SP1 de-de) the dump comes up as

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="Workflow.xslt"?>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

That’s a double declaration. Error in Firefox and a blank page in IE. Either delete the 2nd line or – better! – delete it and change "ISO-8859-1" in the first to "utf-8".

a good back-up archive of your analyses (since platform independent)

Simply amazing. Is this procedure documented somewhere?

Best regards,
Helmut
https://forum.bebac.at/

#5 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Yes I found it on page 68 of the Phoenix Framework Guide - but I do try mention it in any training or archiving discussions.

Simon

a good back-up archive of your analyses (since platform independent)

Simply amazing. Is this procedure documented somewhere?

Edited by Simon Davis, 01 November 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#6 Helmut Schütz

Helmut Schütz

Advanced Member

• Val_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationVienna, Austria

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:42 AM

Hi Simon,

splendid; I should have read all TFMs. My rant from above is partly resolved: The FW Released Notes state on p.21:

Unable to view dependencies in Internet Explorer (QC 12168): Dependencies cannot be viewed in Internet Explorer. The workaround is to open the XML file in Notepad and delete the following text at the top of the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Saving the XML file and reopening in Internet Explorer fixes the issue.

I’m a fan boy of UTF-8. I have to check whether symbols (α, β, λ, ∞) one used in plots and tables might disappear in linked files if the XML is encoded in ISO-8859-1.

PS: I posted your hint in the BABE Forum

Best regards,
Helmut
https://forum.bebac.at/

#7 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

Just to close the loop on this one, the related items QC 12168 QC14798 , are marked as fixed for the next release, (target this summer).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users