3 replies to this topic

#1 0521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 01:20 PM

Hi Support,

I read "Phoenix_Framework_Guide" and that say, when Phoenix can run "Stepwise Cov Search" in Windows_MPI, it automatically assigns cores to each model to run based on the number of covariate relationships.

Phoenix supports both PBM and PWM and even supports a combination of the two. An example of combining PBM and PWM can be seen in a stepwise covariate search. During the first step, let’s assume there are 8 models to be run (base + 7 possible covariates). Phoenix will run all 8 models simultaneously (PBM) with each model using 20 computation cores (PWM).

But I can't see this when I use it.

For example:

My Environment information:
  • Phoenix NLME 8.4
  • CPU: 32 threads

Description of the scenario I used:
Stepwise 1st Find effect to add:
  • 1 Base Model + 11 covariate model =12 Model
Observed CPU state: Models are executed one by one, each model is executed by 32 cores
Expected  CPU state: 12 models run simultaneously, per model run under MPI by 2 core, total of 24 cores used

Stepwise 2ed Find effect to add:
  • 10 covariates model
Observed CPU state: Models are executed one by one, each model is executed by 32 cores
Expected  CPU state: 10 models run simultaneously, per model run under MPI by 3(or 2) core, total of 30(or 20) cores used

Phoenix-Edit-Preferces-RemoteExecution-ComputeGrid:

LocalHost|Windows|MPI|MPI_32||||32|

Did I set something wrong?

Could you help me?

Sincerely,

Edited by 0521, 19 July 2023 - 01:22 PM.

• RonaldAxon likes this

#2 bwendt@certara.com

bwendt@certara.com

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 10:12 AM

Hi 0521,

on Windows and for covariate searches we recommend using Multicore mode since it is more efficient.

Please see the the online-help for setting up parallelization on Windows computers and Linux grids:

https://onlinehelp.c...rhtocid=_41_4_0

Let us know if you have further questions.

Bernd

#3 0521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:31 AM

Hi Bernd,

Thank you for your reply. As you suggested, I did eventually choose "Windows_Multicore" (PBM).

Do you mean that Windows_MPI does not support "PWM and PBM", only conjunction with job managers under Linux with MPI(eg. Linux_SLURM_MPI) supports "PWM and PBM"?

Deploying "SLURM_MPI (Linux)" is a bit difficult for me  :huh: , could you issue pre-deployed docker images ready to use?

(The management side, client side, and executive side are all in one docker. I don't plan to use a very large cluster built with multiple machines, I just expect to be able to implement "PBM and PWM" on my single machine.)

Thanks in advance!  :)

#4 bwendt@certara.com

bwendt@certara.com

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 03:59 PM

Sorry, `PWM and PBM` mode is supported on grids only. 

For Slurm I would suggest you raise a support ticket at support@certara.com. We will see how we can help you setting up the  grid.

Bernd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPI, PWM and PBM, Windows, nlme

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users